planning the date, you have a huge advantage. The most successful first dates are the ones in which both parties feel completely at ease. Although it is tempting to go all out on the first date, low-key plans are better. If the date goes well, you'll have plenty of time later to wow your partner with your elaborate plans. When thinking about the perfect location for your first date, consider the following first date tips:
- The less complicated, the better. Avoid drawn-out, multi-part dates. These leave too much room for unexpected surprises. An evening that flows is much more relaxing.
- Pick a nice, simple restaurant. No one wants to be worried about the proper fork to use or how to pronounce restaurant items.
- A laid back, fun date will allow both parties to relax. Comedy clubs, sporting events, and concerts are good bets to lighten the mood.
- As cheesy as they sound, bowling, miniature golf, go-carts, and video arcades can all be fun, icebreaking dates. Laughing over a crashed go-cart can quickly erase tension and lead to an air of familiarity.
- It goes without saying, but you should definitely be neatly groomed for the first date, a seemingly obvious first date tip. Love may be blind, but first dates are not. Here are some first date tips for your wardrobe:
- Dress appropriately for the date. If you are going to a basketball game, jeans would be far better than a formal dress. As much as you'd like to show off your new outfit, you'll only look foolish if you're overdressed.
- Do not dress too seductively. Even if you typically dress in a sexy way, tone it down a bit for the first date. Extremely provocative clothing can be distracting. It can also give the impression that you are only looking for a physical encounter.
- he conversation is probably the most important part of the first date. Through talking to your date, you'll quickly find out if you have anything in common and if you are at all compatible. While it is important to be yourself, it's more important to be your best self. You are just getting to know each other and certain things are better left unsaid--for now. Some first date tip conversation pointers include:
- Avoid potentially polarizing debates. The first date is not the appropriate time to discuss views on the death penalty, abortion, same-sex marriage, or any other hot topics.
- Leave the past behind. Resist the urge to entertain your date with stories of your abusive childhood, painful divorce, or complicated relationships. Although these subjects are part of you and may very well need to be discussed, this is not the right time.
- Be upbeat. We are naturally more attractive when we are being positive. Now is not the time to launch into a tirade about your rotten luck, terrible year, or awful job. Find something pleasant to discuss.
Dating is not nearly as painful as we all make it out to be. Just be honest, be yourself, and have fun, and soon you'll be the one giving out the first date tips!