Planning and preparation before the date plays a big part in helping you to make the best possible impression on the other person. Below is a very simple checklist that everyone should follow.
- Make an effort with your appearance
It goes without saying that you should make the time to get ready to be sure that you look your best. This is especially important for very busy or very disorganised people. Don't suddenly find that you have twenty minutes to get ready because you haven't planned properly. Anyway, the getting ready part is all part of the fun isn't it?!
- Get the outfit right
It is important to make an effort but whatever you do don't overdress for the occasion. Think about the chosen venue and get it right. For example, you don't want to be wearing a mini skirt at the bowling alley. It gives off all the wrong impressions and you're guaranteed to feel uncomfortable for the entire date!
When on the date
Of course no two dates will ever be the same, but these general rules always apply:
- Do be yourself
- Do tell the truth
- Do listen to what the other person is saying
- Do laugh at their jokes (But only if they're funny!)
- Do use positive body language like eye contact and smiling
- Don't get drunk. Even if you're nervous.
- Do keep personal chat to a minimum. Like talking about your first pet's name for example.
- And whatever you do, don't talk about your exes early on... Nobody wants to hear sob stories or imagine you being with anybody else. This is the sort of conversation to have much further down the line and it is much too personal to discuss on a first date.
After the date
- Don not rush.
Pushing for a second date if the other party has not mentioned it first can seem a little desperate therefore very unattractive to the opposite sex. As a general rule you don't have to set another date up that night. That's what phone calls, emails etc are for. Take your time and enjoy the build up. In the same vein it is essential that you do not leap into bed with the other person straight away if it's a meaningful long term relationship that you're after.
- Be safe
Remember that even though you�ve been out with this person once it doesn�t mean that you know them yet. This is especially important if you have met online, through dating personals or similar, rather than through a friend.
- Play it cool
If the other person doesn't get back in touch with you right away, don't panic! They may be busy with other things - like work or friends etc - and it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't have a good time or that they don't want to see you again. Whatever you do don't call them or email them constantly. This is a sure-fire way of scaring them off!